Friday, May 1, 2015

Seasoned Shrimp Cocktail

Every year when we go to the beach we can't wait to buy fresh shrimp!  It just tastes so much better when it's fresh off the boat.  Well, in our area there is a business that sets up shop at the Farmer's Market every other week and they have freshly caught seafood from the coast including shrimp!  A few weeks back we picked up a couple pounds of shrimp and then I went on Pinterest to see what new recipes I could come up with. I am so glad I found this one from Joyful Healthy Eats because it is so delicious!  It can be served both hot or cold as shrimp cocktail.  We have done it both ways and it's always fabulous but I personally love it hot. 

The recipe is also very easy so that is another plus and of course it is fast because shrimp just takes a few minutes to prepare.  My kind of meal!
I used the basic recipe from Joyful Healthy Eats but I amped up all the flavors by adding extra of each spice.  The first time I didn't do that and it was great but I felt like it could have been seasoned a bit more so ever since the first time making it I have really kicked it up by adding a little extra of each spice. I also try to make it up ahead and toss the shrimp in it and then stick it in the fridge and this makes a big difference on flavor as well. The recipe below does not include extra spices so just use the basic recipe and heap them up a bit.

You will need:
2 lbs. of Shrimp, peeled and deveined
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
4 tablespoons of olive oil
½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon of dry basil
salt & pepper
If you want to make homemade Cocktail Sauce it is very simple as well!  It just takes ½ cup of ketchup and 2 heaping tablespoons of horseradish.  Mix it together and you are good to go.  I usually add a squeeze or two of lemon juice as well.
If you are making the shrimp right away and not putting it in the fridge first then go ahead and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  
In a large bowl, toss shrimp, garlic cloves, red pepper flakes, dry basil, salt, pepper, and olive oil.  Toss until all coated.  Spread shrimp out in a single layer on a baking sheet.  Bake for 8-10 minutes.
Remove and eat hot or let it cool a little while and serve it as shrimp cocktail.  When I serve this as shrimp cocktail I like to put it in the fridge for a couple hours so it's good and cold.

This shrimp is so good with all those yummy spices.

Dip it in your homemade cocktail sauce and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to say "Hi". I love getting your comments.

If you like my what you see here I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. Also join me on Facebook and Instagram!