Thursday, November 12, 2015

Reupholstered Leopard Print Dining Room Chairs

So, things have been getting a little "wild" up in here recently!  I love love love leopard print in the right design and hate it in other designs so it has taken me a long time to find the fabric I really want.  I have known for awhile now that I wanted to add a leopard print to my dining room chairs but it has meant a lot of searching for the right print and the right price because darn, some of these upholstery fabrics are e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e!  Finally, my mom spotted this particular fabric at Hobby Lobby and the price was amazing so I jumped at the chance to buy yards and yards of it so I could have several things made out of it!  It was just $9.99 a yard and of course it was on sale so it came down to $7.00 a yard!  Oh be still my little leopard loving heart!
 I have reuhpolstered my dining room chairs before and it is so simple but does take time and patience to get them just right.  Don't let the task scare you because really it's simple!

You will need to measure your seat cushions allowing for the fabric to wrap around all edges.  The measuring is the most important part of the prep work because the wrong size will ruin your project and waste a lot of fabric.  I needed my cuts to be 24 inches by 27 inches and that still allowed me some extra fabric to cut off once I was finished stapling. 

You will need a heavy duty stapler and the right size staples.  I used 5/8 inch heavy duty staples and they were perfect.  I always go a little staple crazy when I reupholster something but I would say space the staples evenly around the entire perimeter of the chair not being afraid to keep them fairly close so the fabric stays in place with regular use. 
 You will need:
Plenty of fabric so it's important to measure and calculate how much you will need prior to purchasing
Heavy duty staple gun
Heavy duty staples
Dining room chairs or something of the like
Screw driver to remove the seat cushions
Possibly plyers to remove old upholstery
PATIENCE!
Believe it or not this seat cushion fabric used to be a bold sage green but after about 8 years it has faded to the point of looking grayish.  As you can see it was time to change them out!

I didn't do any pictures during the process which was a total "duh" moment on my part.  I really don't know what I was thinking because I usually try to post pictures of the process.  The only tricky part is the corners of each cushion if they aren't perfectly square.  You are golden if they are square but if they are rounded corners as mine are then you will just need to play with the corners until you are happy with the way they look.  I had to take out several staples as I was doing the corners so I had a little more wiggle room with the fabric and I wouldn't start with the corners but one of the flat sides.  You can do it!

And the AFTER....
 I am absolutely crazy about how these turned out!
A much needed update is done on the cheap!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to say "Hi". I love getting your comments.

If you like my what you see here I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. Also join me on Facebook and Instagram!