Friday, July 25, 2014

. . . Easy Homemade Blackberry Cobbler . . .

My son and I have been very busy picking wild blackberries that grow just down the street from our house.  Every morning we go out for a walk and take our berry pot with us and pick the newly ripened blackberries.  I have enjoyed him getting excited about what we can make with them and seeing how fun it is to take something we picked and turn it into something delicious!  

Our picking adventures have slowed down because we saw a snake in one of the blackberry bushes and ever since he's been very apprehensive to get his little hands in the bushes to pull out the berries so we have just been picking the berries that are easily reached so no one has another snake encounter.  I also got a terrible case of poison ivy from picking the berries so I have learned to not be quite so aggressive. We have been covered in splinters from the thorns too so again we are learning to not be quite so crazy with how deep we go into the bushes.  My husband keeps laughing and asking if all these things make it worth picking the berries and each time my answer is yes!  You can always go into the store and buy berries but teaching your child how to pick them and then how to make something from them is just priceless and it will be a memory he has forever I hope.  

This recipe I'm sharing came from Cooks.com and had fantastic reviews and now I have to agree that it is beyond fabulous.  Even better, it was super easy and really was a fun recipe to make with Marcus because it was simple enough he could do it all while I oversaw him.  It's so much fun getting your kids involved in the kitchen so even if you aren't using fresh berries you picked grab a kiddo and let them help out with this recipe.  They will love it!
 You Will Need:
1/2 c. butter
1 Cup all-purpose flour
1 Cup sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
2/3 c. milk
16 oz. fresh blackberries or you can use thawed frozen blackberries
Melt butter in a 2 quart casserole. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and milk in a small mixing bowl, mix well.  This will be a thick and sticky batter but that is what you want.Pour mixture over melted butter, do not stir. Spoon blackberries over batter; do not stir.
Bake at 350°F. for 45 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve with a big 'ol scoop of vanilla ice cream on it and you will be in heaven!
 I told my son this was a magic recipe because it is one of those that you do in layers and then while it bakes the doughy filling rises to the top.  

 Make sure when you are making this recipe that you don't stir up the ingredients when you layer them into your baking dish.  

 Even though the crust didn't cover the entire top of the cobbler there is still quite a bit of it mixed through it.  I served ours with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream but honestly I could eat it just all by itself.  It's the perfect amount of sweetness without being too rich.

 Yummy goodness!


 Perfection!



I hope you enjoy this simple and sweet recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to say "Hi". I love getting your comments.

If you like my what you see here I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. Also join me on Facebook and Instagram!