Monday, January 14, 2013

. . . Baked French Toast . . .

Over the holidays I had several occasions to make a special breakfast and this recipe from The Pioneer Woman was one of our favorites.  Everyone that had it just raved over it which is always nice.  The great thing about this recipe was how well it reheated even a day or two later.  I served it with some fresh fruit and it was the perfect breakfast for guests.  Easy and delicious!


You will need:
French Toast:
 Butter, For Greasing
1 loaf Crusty Sourdough Or French Bread
8 whole Eggs
2 cups Whole Milk
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Vanilla Extract
  • • •
Topping:
1/2 cup Flour
1/2 cup Firmly Packed Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Salt
Freshly Grated Nutmeg, Optional
1 stick Cold Butter, Cut Into Pieces
  • • •
Warm Syrup, For Serving
Butter, For Serving
 • Gather ingredients
• Cut your loaf of bread into bite sized chunks
• Use butter to coat a 9x13 baking dish and place bread in the baking dish
• Mix up the eggs, milk, cream, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla.
**I used 1 Cup of Egg Nog and 1 Cup of Half and Half instead of the 2 cups of milk--yummy!

• Pour the liquid mixture evenly over the bread. Cover the pan tightly and store in the fridge until needed (overnight preferably)
For the topping mix the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and some nutmeg in a separate bowl. Stir together using a fork. Add the butter and with a pastry cutter, and mix it all together until the mixture resembles fine pebbles. (Mine didn't crumble the way it was supposed to so my picture above isn't the best example but it still tasted amazing).  Store in a plastic bag in the fridge. 

 • When you are ready to bake the casserole you will uncover it and crumble the topping over the entire casserole and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes for a softer toast or about an hour for a crispier toast
• Remove from oven and cut into pieces and serve with butter and a pat of butter.  Add some fresh cut fruit and your breakfast is complete!

Yummy!



Good to the last bite

1 comment:

  1. I have always meant to try baked french toast bc it sounds like something that is right up my alley! Pinning....maybe I can convince the hubby to make it for me this weekend if I am feeling especially lazy;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to say "Hi". I love getting your comments.

If you like my what you see here I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. Also join me on Facebook and Instagram!