Thursday, March 17, 2011

Homemade Chalkboard Paint

I know Chalkboard Paint can be pricey and normally in the stores you are limited to black only, although you are starting to see it in a variety of colors. I know someone posted on my Chalkboard Platter that the spraypaint was a little pricier than she expected so this would be a great alternative.

Do you want to save some money or do you want to make sure it matches your other decor?  Here is a homemade recipe that sounds simple enough to me.  Leave it to Martha Stewart to have this recipe posted.

 

Click HERE to go to Martha Stewart's Site

Homemade Custom Color Chalkboard Paint from Martha Stewart
Start with flat-finish latex paint in any shade. For small areas, such as a door panel, mix 1 cup at a time.
1. Pour 1 cup of paint into a container. Add 2 tablespoons of unsanded tile grout. Mix with a paint stirrer, carefully breaking up clumps.
2. Apply paint with a roller or a sponge paintbrush to a primed or painted surface. Work in small sections, going over the same spot several times to ensure full, even coverage. Let dry.
3. Smooth area with 150-grit sandpaper, and wipe off dust.
4. To condition: Rub the side of a piece of chalk over entire surface. Wipe away residue with a barely damp sponge.

I haven't made this but if anyone has I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!

5 comments:

  1. I love Chalkboard paint and I love making it my own colors!
    And I am making it Spring !

    http://messymimi.blogspot.com/2011/03/more-chalkboard-paint-projects.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am anxious to try my own custom colors. I think my son needs some chalkboard "tiles" in his room that match the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found this! I am going to paint my fridge in the utility rm and this recipe comes in handy! Thanks! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to say "Hi". I love getting your comments.

If you like my what you see here I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. Also join me on Facebook and Instagram!