Monday, March 17, 2014

. . . Rainbow Chocolate Chip Cookies . . .

When I was thinking about what I wanted to make for my son's classmates and teachers for St. Patrick's Day I had the brainstorm to make my Pudding Chocolate Chip Cookies into Rainbow Chocolate Chip Cookies.  I had all the ingredients on hand and I love making cookies so this was perfect.  I created a cute little gift tag and he is all set for St. Patty's Day treats.

 In our house we are all about a good old chocolate chip cookie.  I swear that I have lived most my adult life trying to find the perfect recipe for chocolate chip cookies.  This recipe was one that was given to my mom when we were kids and then passed along for me when I was on my quest for the perfect chocolate chip cookie.  I did change it up just a bit this time around and love how they turned out.  I added a secret ingredient that always makes a different with chocolate chip cookies...Cornstarch.  It will fluff up your cookies right away and mix that with the pudding and you have a no fail chocolate chip cookie recipe.  These are so fun for any occasion since all you have to do is add food coloring to match your event or your holiday.  Food coloring gel is the way to go when you want a bold color like these.  The only thing with food coloring in cookies is that when they bake they are going to brown which will darken the color a bit.  Don't be surprised when you pull them out of the oven and they aren't quite as bold in color.  They still will make people smile since the color is unexpected!

Rainbow Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 1/4 Cup Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
2 tsp Cornstarch 
1 Cup Margarine (Use Blue Bonnet for best results) or Unsalted Butter
1/4 Cup Sugar
3/4 Brown Sugar
1 Small Package Vanilla Instant Pudding (the key to this recipe)
1 tsp Vanilla
2 Eggs
1 Bag of Mini Chocolate Chips and/or Mini M&Ms
Food coloring gel of your choice
 
Preheat over to 350 degrees

Mix flour, cornstarch and baking soda in a small bowl and set aside.
Combine softened margarine, sugars, pudding mix and vanilla.  Mix well with electric mixer.  Add eggs one at a time.  Slowly mix in the flour mixture.  Divide your dough up into bowls and add your food coloring and mix well to blend it all in.  Add chocolate chips and combine.

Drop by spoonfuls on a Silpat mat or Parchment Paper lined baking sheet.  Bake for 7 to 10 minutes.


 I made 3 batches of cookies so I divided each batch so I would get 6 colors.  I would make sure to use the food coloring gel if you want bold colors.

 I chilled my dough a couple hours before baking and I think that also helps keep these cookies fluffy and not flat.  If you don't have time to chill them they are still awesome but I would try to chill them if at all possible.  Bake for 7 to 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

 Cool on a baking rack and then seal in an airtight container or package them up to give as gifts.

 These cookies just make me smile!

 I bagged up the cookies for my son's classmates so that each child got 4 of them and then added a cute tag.  All set!
 Each teacher, principal and secretary got a dozen colorful cookies for their special treat.

 Perfect for any occasion!  

Happy St. Patrick's Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to say "Hi". I love getting your comments.

If you like my what you see here I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. Also join me on Facebook and Instagram!