Tuesday, February 19, 2013

. . . Cookie Time Tuesday -- Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies . . .

I had pinned these cookies awhile back and thought about making them numerous times but since I've made Cake Mix Cookies with sprinkles before I just figured they'd be the same so I put it off.  I am SO glad I finally made them because these just might be our new go to cookie around here.  

Sally's Baking Addiction is an amazing blog and she did a real science experiment with these cookies to make them perfect.  If you haven't visited her blog you really need to because it's filled with amazing recipes and gorgeous photos!  

These cookies were made a bit differently because instead of rolling them up into a ball shape Sally recommended making them "Tall" and wow, it really made a difference.  I experimented with a few rolled in a ball compared to the cookies I made "tall" and the "tall" ones turned out so much puffier and thick and were actually chewier than the ones rolled in a ball.  Very interesting that it worked that way but I might just start making my cookies this way when it calls for rolling them in a ball--just make them "tall" instead!

 
 Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies

makes about 2.5 – 3 dozen

Ingredients:
1 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 and 1/4 cup yellow or white boxed cake mix--I used white cake mix and it was perfect
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 egg, at room temperature
1.5 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips--I used half white chocolate chips and half semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup sprinkles--I wished I would have used a heaping 1/2 cup so there were a few extra sprinkles in the batter for some more color
Directions:
In a large bowl, sift together flour, cake mix, and baking soda.  Set aside.  In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugars on medium speed.  Mix in the egg and vanilla until creamy.

Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.  Do not OVERMIX the dough. Fold in the chocolate chips and sprinkles.


Cover and refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour, or up to 4 days.  This step is mandatory. The dough is fairly sticky, so chilling the dough is required in order to avoid the cookie from spreading too much.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Scoop rounded tablespoons of the cold dough onto an ungreased baking sheet or a parchment paper or silpat lined baking sheet.  Shape your cookie dough balls to be “taller” than they are wide, as pictured below.  Make sure to keep dough chilled when working in batches. Bake for 10-12 minutes until edges are slightly browned.  (Mine took 11 minutes). The centers will still appear very soft, but the cookies will set as they cool.


Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 4 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.  If you are like us you may not be able to wait until they cool completely!

 • Gather ingredients
• Cream butter and sugars together until fluffy
• Add vanilla and egg to mix and combine
• Add dry ingredients and blend just until combined

 • Add in the chocolate chips and sprinkles and mix until combined.  Place dough in fridge for at least one hour to chill the dough
• Once dough has had time to chill roll cookies to be "tall" instead of in a ball.  This will for sure make a better cookie.  I'm a believer now!
• Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in a 350 degree oven
• Remove to a cooling rack to cool completely

 Outstandingly Good!!

 My son took one bite of these cookies and said "Mom, I sure hope you made 5 batches of these!".  That is a raving review considering he is a Chocolate Chip Cookie kind of guy and doesn't deviate too much.

Enjoy!!

3 comments:

  1. So funny... I just saw some cake batter cookies at Sally's that I totally had to make too! They are so easy and yummy, it's awesome. Next time I will have to try the chocolate chip ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! You had me at cake batter! Would love to have you come link up to my party this week.

    http://www.bloominghomestead.com/2013/02/crafty-tuesday-link-party-21913.html

    -Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh these cookies make me want to say Happy Birthday! They just have party written all over them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to say "Hi". I love getting your comments.

If you like my what you see here I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. Also join me on Facebook and Instagram!