Tuesday, April 24, 2012

. . . Cookie Time Tuesday-Coconut Butterscotch Crunch Cookies . . .


Day THREE of Wacky for Washi Tape Week!
 Today is also Cookie Time Tuesday so I had to do a double post showing you the cookie recipe and a great way to package cookies as a gift using Washi Tape. 
I just used 2 empty Kool Aid containers (these are actually the containers from the Wal Mart brand).  Once the containers were empty I stacked my cookies up inside (Each container held 7 cookies) and then added the lid and got to “Washi-ing”.  Super simple and super cute!!  These were a special treat for my son's teachers.  Everyone loves to get something "Just Because" and we are very fortunate to have amazing teachers this year so they deserve a treat!

On to the cookie portion...These are really yummy.  I made 2 batches because our house is divided on coconut so some have coconut in them and some do not.  Either way they are great!  This really wasn't any set recipe but more something I made up out of several just to use of some of the ingredients I had in the house.



Cookie Goodness
 
Print Recipe HERE
You will need:
1 Cup shortening
1 Cup sugar
1 Cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
2 Cups quick cooking oats
2 Cups crisp rice cereal
1 Cup flaked coconut
1 Cup butterscotch chips (or any chip you may like)

• Gather your ingredients
• Combine shortening and sugars together until fluffy then add the vanilla and eggs
• Combine dry ingredients then add to sugar mixture and mix well
• Add your quick cooking oats

• Add the crispy cereal
• Add the baking chips of your choice and blend well
• Add coconut if you so choose and mix well.  This is where I divided my dough up and did half with coconut and half without
• Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet

• Bake for 7 to 9 minutes in a 350 degree oven
• Move to wire racks to cool completely
• Yum!  Yum!

 
Butterscotch
 

Crunchy and Sweet
 

• Grab your containers you plan to cover with Washi Tape, your treats and of course Washi Tape and any other embellishments
• I like lots of color so there was no real pattern I followed for my treat container
• I just peeled the plastic wrapper off the kool aid containers and washed them out
• Fill with cookies or any treat you desire

 • You can do this around the container or up and down but I found that it worked best going up and down because of the curve in the container.  It would have been easier if it was a perfectly round item
• Trim all your excess tape off to create a smooth edge
• Once it's covered you are good to go unless you want a little extra "oomph" like I did

 • The treats are in the ready to go but the lid still needs a little Washi Tape added to it then it's pretty
• I added a felt flower to each with a button in the center.  Use a strong adhesive like E-6000 or hot glue to attach everything

• Add a few strands of Baker's Twine and you have yourself a treat that will make anyone feel super special!


too cute!
 
 
just because
Want to know what the other great thing about this treat is?  After  the treats are gone you can use these cute containers for a pen/pencil holder or put small items in it and keep it in a handy spot.  Double Duty--Love that!



Linking Here: 
Get Your Craft On

4 comments:

  1. These are adorable containers. A wonderful gift idea and so simple. Thanks for sharing your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to go look for those Kool-aid containers, this is a really fun idea! Love the bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe how much fun Washi Tape is! I haven't gotten any yet, but I am in love and can't wait to buy some! Thank you for linking this up....and I've always wanted to know...does your family actually eat up an entire batch of cookies every week? If I make a batch a week, they would still be there one week later! {it's just me, the hubs, and a 2 year old!} I've been thinking about it for awhile, but just now thought to ask you!


    Tuesday Time Out Linky Party

    Smiles,
    Melanie

    Reasons To Skip The Housework {The Blog}
    Tinker B Boutique {The Shop}

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've died and gone to heaven - butterscotch and coconut in one cookie? YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to say "Hi". I love getting your comments.

If you like my what you see here I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. Also join me on Facebook and Instagram!