Monday, July 25, 2011

. . . Homemade Salsa . . .

We love Salsa in my family!  I started making my own homemade about 2 years ago and it's so easy tasty!  My grandmother's neighbor made some for us and told me her recipe and I've tweaked it to work for our tastes. You will never get the flavor from store bought that you can get from making your own.  It's also so much fun to make with your family...when we make it we all gather in the kitchen and do our part. 

If you grow a garden it's even better with all those fresh veggies.  I'm lucky enough to have green peppers, jalepeno peppers and tomatoes from my mom's garden and that means I make a lot of Salsa in the summer.


You will need:
Canned diced tomatoes--I like the basil and garlic flavored
OR
Fresh Tomatoes
Green Pepper
Red Onion
Cherry or Grape Tomatoes
Garlic
Salt and Pepper
Jalepeno Peppers
Optional: Rotel Chilis and Tomatoes

I don't have any measurements for you because Salsa is really about individual taste.  I can tell you for the large container you see in the photo below it was 2 cans of tomatoes, 1 container of grape tomatoes, 1 green pepper, 1 red onion, 1 whole jalepeno, and half a can of Rotel.


• Gather ingredients--fresh or store bought
• Blend your whole ingredients to puree them--green pepper,
jalepeno pepper, grape/cherry tomatoes and red onion.  Once those are chopped up then add your canned tomatoes and Rotel to the blender and blend well.  You can now add you spices--garlic, salt and pepper, a dash or two of lemon juice, some sugar (small amount).
• Store in an air tight container if there is any left.  In our house we don't usually have all that much sitting around.


1 comment:

  1. Yummy! My first time making salsa this past weekend with a different recipe kind of flopped, but this recipe may encourage me to try again!

    Thanks!
    Melanie
    bearrabbitbear.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to say "Hi". I love getting your comments.

If you like my what you see here I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. Also join me on Facebook and Instagram!