Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Valentine's Day Mobile

I have really enjoyed seeing all the amazing Valentine's Day craft ideas that are flyng around all the blogs so it's kept me inspired to do more crafting.  I wanted to make a mobile for the special day so this is what I came up with:

You will need:
1 flat wooden wreath form.  I think it was 12 inches.
Thin ribbon
Cardstock
Decorative Papers
Red Paint
Glue stick
Double Sided tape
Drill
Foam paint brush

Take your wreath form and drill holes around it spaced evenly--maybe about 12 to 14 holes. 
There I am drilling 
Take your paint and paintbrush out to get ready to paint. 
Paint your wreath form. 
All the papers I used. 
Trace hearts on the backside of your paper and then cut them out. 
Thread two pieces of your thin ribbon through 4 holes making it as centered as you can. 
The holes I used were straight across from each other which is what you want.  You will thread the ribbon through 4 holes. 
There I am threading.  
Put two extra pieces of ribbon right in the center not connected to anything.  This will be what you attach you hearts to so you have something hanging in the center. 
Pull all the ribbons tight and then tie a large knot.  This was the hardest part of the project because if you tie too loose then you have one side leaning so you have to make sure you are pulling all the strings evenly. 
Place a piece of heart shaped cardstock between your papers unless your paper is cardstock then you won't need to do that.  I taped one patterened paper to the cardstock with double sided tape.   
Place double sided tape down the center of your half assembled hear and then tape it to the ribbon placed where you want it.
Then take your glue stick all around the backing paper so the edges are nice and tightly sealed.  Adhere that to the half assembled heart.  Then go down a few inches and add a smaller two sided heart. 
I found it was easiest to work with while it was hanging up. 
I liked having three hearts in the center and the other "dangles" have 2 each-one small and one large. 
Finished!   
It was a really easy project it just took longer than I expected and tying off the ribbons were harder than I thought they would be.  I would say this is something almost anyone could do but plan on having a couple hours to complete it.   




The DIY Show Off







24 comments:

  1. so cute. i will be trying this one for sure. great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! You guys keep coming up with things I want to add to my list! DOn't know that I have enough time, lol! This is fabulous!
    You should come link this up to my weekly Thursday through Sunday Making It With Allie Link Party! I think it would make a Fabulous addition!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea! I just might do this one for Valentine's this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ladies! It's always fun to see what everyone is sharing isn't it? So much inspiration out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is so pretty!! If you ever have a chance I'd love for you to link up to Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings. www.ladybug-blessings.com oh & p.s come enter my giveaway for an inspirational dog print :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really cute, it would look good in a class-room as a teacher's gift. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute. I really like the way it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great tutorial, I love this mobile. I found your blog while blog hopping today. Wishing you happiness, Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. very sute & it doesn't look too hard! I like that! Me & Complicated Crafts just don't get along very well! :)

    new follower - can't wait to see what else you have here!

    Bernadette
    http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stopping by from the Sunday Blog Hop! Love your mobile and I am your newest follower.. Hope you stop by and visit me @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com Hope you will share one of your v-day crafts on Monday too at my Pink Hippo Party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am your newest follower through the blog hop today & I just love your ideas. I am going to try this one this weekend. :) Here is my blog feel free to follow me as well. http://kingstongirlie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love mobiles, and that one turned out great. Using paper like that is always fun because there are so many cute patterns. love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea! You should enter this in my Valentine's Day Challenge going on now!
    http://lessthanperfectlifeofbliss.blogspot.com/2011/02/valentines-day-challenge-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I am voting for you in the Valentine's Challenge at Life of Bliss. I really love this idea! Very cute :)
    xo,
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am voting for you in the Valentine's Challenge at Life is Bliss. I love this project it turned out really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks cute! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You make it look wicked easy! This is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so pretty! I love how easy it is. I may have to try it out.

    Please share this over here: http://www.bubblynaturecreations.com/2011/02/project-party-weekend-flavored-lip.html

    We would love to have you join us!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a sweet mobile! Thank you for linking up to tickled pink!
    Holly
    504 Main

    ReplyDelete
  20. You made such an adorable mobile... thanks too for the photo tutorial. Wonderful job!

    Thanks for participating in Thankful Thursday at Crazy About Cricut!! - Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for joining the first Thankful Thursday challenge! I hope you'll be able to join the current challenge and enter to win the Create a Critter cartridge :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to say "Hi". I love getting your comments.

If you like my what you see here I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. Also join me on Facebook and Instagram!