Thursday, January 29, 2015

. . . Crockpot Baked Potato Soup . . .

I really am not a soup lover however a long time ago I found this recipe in a magazine and I decided to give it a try.  Oh my goodness, it was so good I couldn't believe it.  I always make it on the stovetop but last time I decided it sounded good I thought I might try it in the crockpot.  I'm so glad I did because it is so easy and nice to not have to worry about it all day.  It turned out perfectly and will now be the way I make it.

I hope you and your family enjoy this soup as much as we do.  It's kind of like eating a loaded baked potato in soup form.  Even my son loves it and he is a picky eater.  I think the cheese and bacon make it a kid friendly recipe!
You will need:
5 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
6 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
Ground black pepper to taste
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup grated cheddar 
Extras:
Sour cream
Grated cheddar
Package of bacon, cooked and crumbled
Diced green onions or chives
Peel and dice the potatoes into small cubes so they cook faster and it's easier to mash them at the end.  Place potatoes, chicken broth, garlic and pepper into the crockpot and cover.  Cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.  See recipe for my notes on how long I cooked it.
Chop up green onions for the garnish.  Also you will want to cook the bacon and crumble it while the potatoes cook.
When the potatoes are done cooking and are tender when you stick a fork into them use a potato masher or an immersion blender and mash them up until they are smooth and liquidy.
Add your milk or cream.  I used Half and Half to make it a bit richer.
Add the sour cream next
Add the butter
Last, but not least, add the sharp cheddar cheese.  Mix all the above together until it has melted and smooth.  Make sure the heat is down to warm so the cheese doesn't curdle.
This soup is sure to please!  Even for me not liking soup I could eat this regularly.  I am so glad it turned out in the crockpot as well since I've been making it on the stove for years.  Somehow it just seems easier to put it into the crockpot.
Serve with warm crusty bread and top with bacon, sour cream, cheese and green onions
 
Yummy in the tummy!
 




Crockpot Baked Potato Soup
5 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
6 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
Ground black pepper to taste
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup grated cheddar

Extras:
Sour cream
Grated cheddar
Package of bacon, cooked and crumbled
Diced green onions or chives

Place chopped potatoes, chicken broth, and garlic in large crockpot. Add ground pepper. Cover and cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high or until potatoes are soft when pierced with a fork.  I used my crockpot on high for about 5 hours and then turned it down to low for a little longer and then switched to warm. 
Once potatoes are finished cooking turn the crockpot down to warm and use a potato masher or an immersion blender to "mash" the potatoes until smooth and creamy.   I used a potato masher and it worked beautifully.  Add milk, sour cream, butter, and grated cheese and mix until all ingredients are incorporated.  I like my soup a little richer so I used Half and Half instead of milk and used just over a cup to make it a little smoother.  Because of the dairy products you want to do this step at the very end or your cheese may get clumpy so don't leave the heat on for a really long time after you've added the dairy products.

Spoon soup into bowls and top with sour cream, grated cheese, chopped bacon, and green onions. 

2 comments:

  1. That looks delicious!!!!!! for some reason I've been hungry all day ( and eating all day).. catching up on the blogs doesn't help. : )
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is comfort food, looks yummy!!
    Thank you for sharing on The Oh My Heartsie Girls WW this week!!!

    Wishing you the best!!
    Karren~Host

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to say "Hi". I love getting your comments.

If you like my what you see here I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. Also join me on Facebook and Instagram!