Monday, April 28, 2014

. . . Strawberry Cheesecake Poke Cake . . .

I am a really big fan of fresh Strawberries but am not a fan of strawberry flavored things.  My husband, however loves strawberry cake and it's about my least favorite cake until NOW!  I was cruising Pinterest and came across this amazing recipe for Strawberry Cheesecake Poke Cake from Inside BruCrew Life and I knew it was a must make recipe.  She shares the best recipes but this one for sure is one of my favorites.  I can't believe how refreshing and light it is.  The cake disappeared before my eyes and my husband said I could make it again and again so that is a good review.

Believe it or not I have never made a Poke cake!  This will not be my last shot at making one now that I realize how amazing they are.  I have my mind on making a Boston Cream type Poke Cake because that is another cake we love.  Really the possibilities are endless and if you do a search for Poke Cakes there are a million and one recipes floating around for them.

This recipe is a great one so I would highly recommend making it.  I also think fresh blueberries would have been really good on this too.  I didn't have any but next time I make this I'll be sure to have some on hand along with the fresh strawberries.  I think this is a dessert that the kids will love too.  Enjoy!

Strawberry Cheesecake Poke Cake
You will need:
 1 strawberry cake mix (I used Dunkin Hines)
1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz.)
1 jar strawberry ice cream topping
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup milk
1 box instant cheesecake pudding (I used Jell-o brand but only could find the sugar free and it made my frosting a bit lumpy so the next time I would hunt down the regular instead of the sugar free.  The taste was still excellent using the sugar free but the regular would probably make prettier frosting.)
2 cups defrosted Cool Whip
fresh strawberries and blueberries

Mix the strawberry cake according to the back of the package. Bake in a greased 9x13 pan for about 28 minutes. Cool for 3-4 minutes and then poke the top of the cake with the end of a wooden spoon handle or something similar.  Make sure to poke all over the cake so your topping can really soak into the cake.  Mix together the sweetened condensed milk and the strawberry ice cream topping. Spoon all of the sweetened condensed milk mixture slowly over the top of the cake. Use the back of a spoon to spread the mixture around so it seeps into the holes made from the spoon. Let cool completely.

While cake is cooling beat the cream cheese and Greek yogurt until creamy. In a separate bowl mix together the pudding mix and milk until smooth. Add pudding mixture to the cream cheese and beat again. Fold the Cool Whip in gently using a spatula to turn the mixture over and over until incorporated. You do not want to stir too vigorously because the air from the Cool Whip will be removed. Spread over the top of the cooled cake. Keep refrigerated until serving. Top with fresh berries if desired.


 • Mix the strawberry cake according to the back of the package. Bake in a greased 9x13 pan for about 28 minutes. Cool for 3-4 minutes
•Mix together the sweetened condensed milk and the strawberry ice cream topping.

•Poke the top of the cake with the end of a wooden spoon handle or something similar.  Make sure to poke all over the cake so your topping can really soak into the cake. 
•Spoon all of the sweetened condensed milk mixture slowly over the top of the cake. Use the back of a spoon to spread the mixture around so it seeps into the holes made from the spoon. Let cool completely.

 • While cake is cooling beat the cream cheese and Greek yogurt until creamy. 
•In a separate bowl mix together the pudding mix and milk until smooth. 
•Add pudding mixture to the cream cheese and beat again. 
•Fold the Cool Whip in gently using a spatula to turn the mixture over and over until incorporated.  Spread over the top of the cooled cake. Keep refrigerated until serving.

 Heaven in a bowl!

Delicious!!

Keep in touch with Itsy Bitsy Paper

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to say "Hi". I love getting your comments.

If you like my what you see here I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. Also join me on Facebook and Instagram!