Saturday, January 19, 2013

. . . Blueberry Breakfast Cake . . .

I love Pinterest but it sure does get me in trouble!  I just can't resist trying recipes that I probably shouldn't be making when my New Year's Resolution is to get back to eating healthier and working out more but I just love all the yummy goodness I find on there.  I'm sure my family appreciates the recipes so I guess I'll keep making them and using self control.  This Blueberry Breakfast Cake is one I'm excited to make again...maybe even today!  I know there are quite a few variations of this floating around out there but I used Life as a Lofthouse's recipe and it was fantastic.  I made it for New Year's Day breakfast and it was a big hit at our house. 

I know the recipe calls for fresh berries but due to the expense of them I went ahead and used frozen and had no issues at all except that I didn't drain the liquid off as much as I should have.  I found that it took a little longer to bake and I'm thinking it's because of the extra moisture from the berries.  

Blueberry Breakfast Cake 
You will need:
 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2 teaspoons lemon zest
3/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons sugar, divided
1 egg, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour, divided
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup buttermilk

 Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter, lemon zest and 3/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon of the sugar together. Beat until creamy and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined.

Toss the blueberries with 1/4 cup of the flour. Set aside.

Whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt together in a separate bowl. Slowly add flour mixture to wet mixture, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in blueberries.

Grease a 9x9 inch square pan (I did use a round baking dish) with non-stick spray. Spread batter into pan (batter will be thick but that is how it's supposed to be).
Sprinkle the remaining Tablespoon of sugar evenly over the top of batter.

Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.

 • Gather your ingredients
• Cream butter, sugar and lemon zest
• Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined
• Toss the blueberries with 1/4 cup flour so the berries don't all fall to the bottom of your cake

 • Add flour mixture to wet mixture, alternating with the buttermilk
• Add blueberries and fold in
• Pour your mixture into a greased baking dish and top with remaining sugar.  Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
 
I feel bad that I don't have a pretty finished photo of this delicious recipe plated up but I was sick with the flu and it was all I could do to just get this made so I'll try harder to have a pretty picture the next time.  I promise that even though there is no enticing photo of this bread on a pretty plate it is so good and I'm sure you will enjoy it!

1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by to say "Hi". I love getting your comments.

If you like my what you see here I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. Also join me on Facebook and Instagram!